Sunday 24 August 2008

Phnom Penh

5 nights in Phnom Penh. Fantastic place, although I'm getting particularly tired of two things. Firstly fat ugly Western men with young Cambodia's (this is worse than in Thailand!), second (and this one is just sad more than annoying, and is an important indicator of where Cambodia is and can move to) the constant barrage of children coming up to you to sell things (books generally) - which you shouldn't buy because it doesn't hep them get off the streets, and their selling items puts them at direct risk - and the chorus of "you want tuktuk. Go killing fields, s-21 (torture/prison place under pol-pot now a museum), shoot gun". Athough I think seeing these things is important (not the gun shooting), and I'm very glad we went to them (maybe more on that another time, athough there's not much to say, they were of course very sad to go to, but absoloutely worth a trip), I find it sad that to make a living tuk tuk drivers market a dark part of their very recent history to often ignorant tourists. On that front, I was shocked at how little I knew about the recent history, and just recent it is (late 90s) compared to when I thought things had really come to a general end (late 70s) and so on. Moving on to Kompong Chnang tomorrow (where we dont expect to have internet...it's a small fishing town, also famous for making clay pots for water storage), and then Battambang before going back to Thailand. See http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2349135&l=a0765&id=197800857 for photos.

1 comment:

CH said...

I sympathise with both the fat men with Thai lovers and the begging children. I do not, however, sympathise with the lack of emails / updates to this blog! I don't care if you're in the middle of nowhere with no internet! Get on it! Love :D xxx