Sunday 19 October 2008

Seoul

In keeping with the theme of making rash judgments on other cultures with very experience of them (tautology?) I'll make some comments on S. Korea:
1)People wear crap suits. I'm no suit expert, but I can see when a suit doesn't fit, or when it's made out of VERY shiny material. In fact I've seen a silver suit on more than one occasion. I assume that not all of these people are pimps.
2)There are lots of coffee places – I approve of this greatly
3)Subway trains have 'old age person' seats. These seats are never sat in by young people – indeed I was told off for sitting on one. However, middle aged people will sit on these, people who you'd not want to offer the seat to in the UK for fear of offending them. Often these don't offer their seat to the older person.
4)At cafes when you order, you are given a buzzer which will flash and vibrate when your order is ready to be picked up at the collection counter. I am not convinced this is particularly efficient, but it is quite novel.

On the train back from Insadong today (nice area) I gave up my seat to an oldish woman – I really can't abide being stood over by a woman talking to someone sat next to me who is struggling to reach the hand holds which were clearly not designed for Asian women (although they do also bang me in the face so they're not that high up). She proceeded to talk to me, and sign either that I had a big heart or big breasts – it wasn't clear which. Before I knew it I had about 5 oldish women talking to me and trying to help me to where I was going, and one young Korean who spoke English and translated a bit which was very nice of her and saved me just shrugging and smiling embarassed afterwards. I was told I had to get off before my stop, so while vowing never to do another good deed again, at least not in a confined unescapbable space I checked the map to see if I was in the right line (pretty certain I was) and indeed I was but this train was terminating so I had to swap to the next one. I could probably have worked that out myself – although I did see one guy walking down the empty train after it left its terminus – but it was very nice of them to tell me anyway.

On the train from there up to Dobong (my stop) I was very happy to see the standard peddlers of 'crap you don't want'. This was – as I'm sure you may imagine – even more the case when an old and non-too clean woman approached me with a bag full of gum packs. She proceeded to stand over me, attempt to place the gum into my hand (in such a manner as to force me to create a fist), and then try to place the gum on my leg and ask for money. After a minute of this she sodded off. I hope I told that story properly – I'm told it was funny the first time :p.

On Friday we left Seoul for Chuncheon, a town/small city not far from Seoul (2 hours on a slow train as I remember). The main draws to this place were a pretty town near by with a waterfall, and the presence of an island in a lake at this town. More on that in the next post.

2 comments:

CH said...

in retrospect that story isn't even remotely funny. sorry :$

sjgknight said...

I feel so lied to