Monday 24 November 2008

So...this is england eh

Having only one 'follower' (official Google blogger stats 24/11/08) as I do, I have been fairly unconcerned about my lack of blog publishing of recent. Or to be more accurate, I've had some concern that although I'd like to blog something, I have not, but little concern that anyone (except of course, my single devoted 'follower') had any concern regarding this lack of new blog post. The lack of anything worthy of blog may be evidenced by the previous sentences.

None the less, here we go. Since I have been back, I have worked. It is hard to believe I've only been back 2.5 weeks, because although everything still feels fresh to my sense memory, I feel like I've done quite a lot in that time. I went to Leeds, I read 2 books ('Are you experience' by William Sutcliffe - a 'gap year' Indian travel story with all the sex, diarrhea and obnoxious travelers you'd expect; and 'The life of Pi' an excellent read with a fantastic ending, both read in a single sitting on a Sunday afternoon), I've worked 71 hours, I recovered from jet lag exacerbated cold, I printed some of my old photos in LARGE (I won't lie, they look ace, at least one is sellable), I had my plan to go to Sweden next year shattered and conjured up a new - arguably better - plan...certainly one which involves me having more money, oh and I prepared for my PGCE interview.

On Saturday I went to Solihul as part of this preparation. I have been wearing the same shoes since I went to the prom at 16. Although those shoes have, thus, seen a lot, and I don't wear them so much that they're actually falling apart, there comes a time when...well I just wanted some new damned shoes. This exercise was completed perfectly easily. Lunch was interesting, we went to quite a nice restaurant, painted white, mostly upstairs tables, all v nice food, set menu for £11. I chose red pepper and tomato soup and pork with mash. Annoyance one - the sparkling water was as much as a glass of wine (almost) - what, did you have to squeeze sparkles and let them ferment to make the water? Bastards.

Before the start arrived, a 'complimentary appetiser' arrived (after the homemade bread) of salmon risotto. The two spit fulls worth on the full sized plate were gorgeous and I would highly recommend it should one wish to coat one's lips with a delicious morsel. It wasn't particularly complementary (there really should be a 3rd spelling to distinguish the 3 meanings) to the soup, but it was much appreciated. Less appreciated was the 'apple granita' (that's ground flavoured ice...or slush puppy), with - and I forget the posh name - what were essentially fizzing nerds (that's fizzing nerds), served in a shot glass...it was weird...nuff said. Dull main course.

Tomorrow I'm going to De Montfort uni, Leicester to 'supervise' the 6th form students. This should involve sitting in a café and reading, perhaps doing work, maybe begging someone to log me on to the wi-fi. Perhaps trying to learn about teaching study skills, which should henceforth be one of my roles...should be fun :).
Perhaps on my Sunday's till whenever (you know, whenever I remember I'm supposed to be writing an article, and that I could prep for next year, and that I probably want to be planning traveling again, oh and that I should do some Christmas shopping at some point), I'll fill the gaps in my reading of this list: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006/mar/02/news.michellepauli

Next week I'll call specsavers...they inform me it's been 3.5 years since my last eye test. Maybe school can pay for it...

No comments: