Thursday 18 September 2008

HK to Shanghai

Having made the decision that the laptop light is preferable to the reading light in my darkened cabin I'm writing this 4.5 hours in to my 21 hour train journey from Hong Kong to Shanghai. Having eaten a snack of a pack of pringle-esque crisps and had two beers for dinner 30 mins ago and that 4.5 hours being 4.5 from 3.15pm I'm in little mood for the 'bedtime' the family inhabiting my cabin seem to have initiated. (That's 7.45pm for the non-mathematical btw). Although, my experience of the train Chiang Mai to Bangkok rather prepared me for this event, I was rather enjoying my Ben Elton novel. Nae mind.

Having spent my last 3 days in HK largely doing non-city things, I have enjoyed HK rather more. Yesterday I went up the 'gravity defying' (Lonely Planet phrase, I entirely agree with) tram to Victoria Peak, overlooking HK. Well worth the trip for the journey itself – it feels like you're going to go vertical at some points – the views (hazy though they were), and for the newly purchased mah jong set; what any nearing mid-twenties man wants. Also for the full range of punctuation a sentence about it offered.

I've largely subsisted on western food in HK, a hotpot with Vicky (a Leeds friend) and some of her friends, some japanese food (quite Western really), and that's about it for exceptions. The hotpot was a nice experience in that the beer was cheap (21 HK dollars for 3 bottles – that's about 50p each), and it's a social occasion. The food consists of as much meat, veg, fish, fish balls, etc. as you want, and two pots of soup with heaters underneath in which to cook this food – the ultimate food poisoning get out clause for a restaurant. The meal was notably lacking in veg., and not being a fan of fish (or tripe) was a problem, but as I say, socially it was very nice. The reasons for this Westernism are:
1)I'll eat Chinese in China with little other choice
2)nausea at the end of Thailand time led me away from rice, and especially lemon grass (which I love, but the smell of which was making me nauseas)
3)there was no price difference between Western and Asian food (lunch time deals are especially good)
4)There are a lot of cafes with Western food, good coffee and free internet – sold me.

So far this train is more 'luxurious' than the Thai equivalent, although in some ways I preferred that one. This has a dinning cart (bonus), and very nice toilets, and a separate sink area. The beds are divided into sets of 4 (soft sleeper) or 6 (hard sleeper) in cabins. I am on a top bunk in soft sleeper – about 40 pound for the journey. The Thai ones were an ingenious use of space, but these are more Western, and have less noise transmission and so on.

The people I'm sharing a room with seem very nice, with limited English. They're from HK, visiting the man's (2 women, 1 man) brother. I'm unsure of their relation, but I've talked to him a bit, and one of the women gave me some food. The packet of chestnuts was a nice thing to give me, and much appreciated...the shrink wrapped (in foil) chicken liver, and chicken feet...well, how do you react to that? I think I may need to hide them by the morning.

[I did indeed hide them. And I am now in Shanghai in what appears to be quite a nice hostel...more on Shanghai later]

No comments: